- Project Manager and Text Editor, Barcelona Precincts: A Curated Guide to the City’s Best Shops, Eateries, Bars and Other Hangouts. Hardie Grant Travel (out May 2018)
- Editor, Sundays in Paris: An Insiders’ Guide to the Best Places to Eat, Drink and Explore. Hardie Grant Travel (out February 2018)
- Project Editor, Kyoto Pocket Precincts. Hardie Grant Travel (March 2017)
- Project Manager and Text Editor, the In Photos series: Melbourne, Sydney, and Brisbane in Photos. Hardie Grant Travel (January 2018)
TRAVEL AND ADVENTURE
- Project Manager, Editor and Contributing Writer, Homecamp: Stories and Inspiration for the Modern Adventurer. Hardie Grant Travel (November 2017)
- Project Editor, Everest: Mountain Without Mercy. National Geographic (an updated, revamped re-release published September 2015)
- Project Editor, 100 Secret Journeys: The World’s Best Hidden Adventures. National Geographic (July 2013)
- Project Editor, The World’s Most Beautiful Places. National Geographic (May 2013)
- Project Editor, Explore Dream Discover: A New Zealand Photo Journey. HEMA Maps (2011)
SCIENCE AND NATURE
- Project Editor, Wild Beauty: A Photographic Field Guide to Australia’s Biggest, Oldest and Rarest Natural Treasures. Hardie Grant Travel (November 2016)
- Writer & Project Editor, Greatest Parks of the World. National Geographic (May 2014)
- Contributing Researcher and Editor, Star Trek: The Official Guide to Our Universe. National Geographic (August 2016)
- Project Editor, Guide to the Night Sky: A Stargazer’s Companion. National Geographic (August 2015)
- Project Editor, Are We Alone? And Other Mysteries of Space. National Geographic (December 2015)
CRAFTS AND WELLNESS
- Researcher, The Mindful Day: Practical Ways to find Focus, Calm, and Joy from Morning to Evening (out March 2018)
- Project Editor, Roped In. Hardie Grant Publishing (May 2017)
- Project Editor, Made to Last. Hardie Grant Publishing (November 2017)
- Writer, An Uncommon History of Common Things 2. Chapter 1, “All Natural,” and Chapter 6, “Gadgets and Gizmos”. National Geographic (October 2015)
FOOD AND DRINK
- Editor, National Geographic Atlas of Beer: A Globe-Trotting Journey Through the World of Beer (September 2017).
- Editor, CIBI: Simple Japanese-inspired Meals to Share with Family and Friends (Hardie Grant Books, out in 2018)
- Project Editor & Proofreader, Australian Bush Superfoods cookbook. Hardie Grant Travel (September 2017)
- Project Editor, Around the World in 80 Cocktails. Hardie Grant Publishing (August 2017)
Skills & Experience
Over the past seven years I have managed, edited, and/or written a variety of print publications in the realms of travel and adventure, history, science, and beyond. I love guiding books from developmental stages through to final proofing, and every step in between. I’ve also spent time as a teacher, both full-time and giving specialized workshops. My skills include:
- Developmental editing. I’ve shaped initial vision and content, conduced research, crafted outlines and flat plans, and worked with design and photo editorial teams to craft an inspiring product.
- Copyediting. I’ve performed substantive line-by-line edits on illustration-rich publications, essays, and marketing content for print and online.
- Research and fact checking. From the early stages of a projects’ development to final factchecks, I’m adept at ensuring that all content is consistent, accurate, and up-to-date.
- Proofreading. My background in illustrated publishing has made me particularly strong in editing and proofing not just info-rich manuscripts, but also images, graphics, and cartography.
- Writing. I have applied my experience and love for travel and the outdoors in writing engaging marketing copy, articles, and full manuscripts like National Geographic’s Greatest Parks of the World and An Uncommon History of Common Things 2.
- Teaching. I have developed and taught workshops on travel writing, fiction writing, and the many trips and tricks that a writer needs to get the job done. I have taught 1.5 and three-hour workshops for writing centers such has Writers Victoria and Writers NSW, helping writers how to turn their adventures into compelling narratives that anyone can insert themselves into. I spent three years as a high school English and Creative Writing teacher developing curriculum, pacing back and forth while reading speeches from Macbeth, and gesturing wildly at kids aged 14 to 17.
In-house editorial and teaching experience:
- Editor, Hardie Grant Travel (Melbourne, Australia). 2016-2017
- Charles E. Smith Jewish Day School (Rockville, Maryland USA). 2012-2015.
- Editorial Assistant and Project Manager, HEMA Maps (Brisbane, Australia). 2010-2011
- BA in English (Writing) from Christopher Newport University, 2006
- Master of Journalism, University of Queensland, 2009 (with a focus on travel writing)