Select Publications (starting with the most recent)
- Project and Text Editor, Homecamp: Stories and Inspiration for the Modern Adventurer. Hardie Grant Travel (November 2017)
- Project Editor, Made to Last. Hardie Grant Publishing (November 2017)
- Editor, National Geographic Atlas of Beer: A Globe-Trotting Journey Through the World of Beer (September 2017).
- Project Editor & Proofreader, Australian Bush Superfoods. Hardie Grant Travel (Cookbook, September 2017)
- Project Editor, Around the World in 80 Cocktails. Hardie Grant Publishing (August 2017)
- Project Editor, Roped In. Hardie Grant Publishing (May 2017)
- Project Editor, Kyoto Pocket Precincts. Hardie Grant Travel (March 2017)
- Project Editor, Wild Beauty: A Photographic Field Guide to Australia’s Biggest, Oldest and Rarest Natural Treasures. Hardie Grant Travel (November 2016)
- Contributing Researcher and Editor, Star Trek: The Official Guide to Our Universe. National Geographic (August 2016)
- Project Editor, Are We Alone? And Other Mysteries of Space. National Geographic (December 2015)
- Writer, An Uncommon History of Common Things 2. Chapter 1, “All Natural,” and Chapter 6, “Gadgets and Gizmos”. National Geographic (October 2015)
- Project Editor, Everest: Mountain Without Mercy. National Geographic (an updated, revamped re-release published September 2015)
- Project Editor, Guide to the Night Sky: A Stargazer’s Companion. National Geographic (August 2015)
- Writer & Project Editor, Greatest Parks of the World. National Geographic (May 2014)
- Project Editor, 100 Secret Journeys: The World’s Best Hidden Adventures. National Geographic (July 2013)
- Project Editor, The World’s Most Beautiful Places. National Geographic (May 2013)
- Project Editor, Explore Dream Discover: A New Zealand Photo Journey. HEMA Maps (2011)
Over the past seven years I have managed, edited, and/or written a variety of print publications in the realms of travel and adventure, history, science, and beyond. I love guiding books from developmental stages through to final proofing, and every step in between. My skills include:
- Developmental editing. I’ve shaped initial vision and content, conduced research, crafted outlines and flat plans, and worked with design and photo editorial teams to craft an inspiring product.
- Substantive and copyediting. I’ve performed substantive line-by-line edits on illustration-rich publications, essays, and marketing content for print and online.
- Research. From the early stages of a projects’ development to final factchecks, I’m adept at ensuring that all content is consistent, accurate, and up-to-date.
- Proofreading. My background in illustrated publishing has made me particularly strong in editing and proofing not just info-rich manuscripts, but also images, graphics, and cartography.
- Writing. I have applied my experience and love for travel and the outdoors in writing engaging marketing copy, articles, and full manuscripts like National Geographic’s Greatest Parks of the World and An Uncommon History of Common Things 2.
- Teaching. I have developed and taught workshops on travel writing, fiction writing, and the many trips and tricks that a writer needs to get the job done. I have taught a six-hour workshop for writing centers like Writers Victoria aimed to teach writers how to turn their adventures into compelling narratives that anyone can insert themselves into.
- Editor, Hardie Grant Travel (Melbourne, Australia). 2016-2017
- Editorial Assistant and Project Manager, HEMA Maps (Brisbane, Australia). 2010-2011
- BA in English (Writing) from Christopher Newport University, 2006
- Master of Journalism, University of Queensland, 2009 (with a focus on travel writing)